19 February 2009

Universal phone chargers

All the top mobile phone makers 17 in all have agreed to all use a standard energy efficient micro-usb cables for charging by 2012 that should save the production of 600-960 million chargers each year, reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 13.6 to 21.8 million tonnes annually.

The new chargers are said to be three times more energy efficient and exceed energy efficientsy standurds most of the big names like Nokia, 3 Group, AT&T, Sony Ericsson,, Samsung, KTF, LG, mobilkom austria, Motorola, Orange, Qualcomm, Telecom Italia, Telefónica, Telenor, Telstra, T-Mobile and Vodafone are agreeing to use this standard but it looks like you will still need separate chargers for the likes of Apple, RIM, Palm and HTC.

With so many big companies agreeing why cant Apple and the likes not just support it too. For all other makes this can only be good news for everyone and the environment.

What’s you view on it?

7 comments:

BOGCESS said...

Hi! You have nice content here. Care to exchange links? Kindly add my blog then let me know so I can add you aswell.
Thanks!

Earn Pera Online

bluecrystaldude said...

My God. I never knew that phone chargers could emit that much of GHG. And yes, Apple should follow others too.

Thanks for your comment in my site earlier :)

schizoshrink said...

useful info you've got there.. hope we could exchange links.. http://schizoshrink8.blogspot.com

Make a pound said...

Am sorry but not sure if I am looking to exchange links at the momment but if I do I can get back to you.

Asela I. Suwandarathne said...

Great job , reall nice blog. Go ahead its really cool and important. Good Luck and go ahead. I am asuwandarathne from BlogCatalog ;).

Tech Vixen said...

What a good idea. I wish Apple and others would get with the program as well. I'm glad so many mobile phone developers are cooperating with this.

John | English Wilderness said...

Apart from reducing the impact on the environment, I guess the main advantage would be not having to take your adapter everywhere! When you visit someone, their charger should work with your phone.